SparkleShare

Syed Faisal Akber faisal-nMFrlatgk0VeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 10 12:15:25 UTC 2012

On 12-02-09 08:20 PM, Giles Orr wrote:
> On 9 February 2012 11:59, Christopher Browne<cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Giles Orr<gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>>> Has anyone used SparkleShare?  It's essentially a DropBox replacement
>>> that you run yourself, with git on the back end.  I got it installed
>>> on Debian testing last night but had no time to experiment - glad
>>> there was a package available as it, or its dependencies, sucked in a
>>> variety of packages including mono and libbluray that suggested that
>>> compiling it yourself wouldn't be pretty.  If anyone has used it, I'd
>>> be interested in stories of installation, problems, client behaviour,
>>> pretty much anything.
>> There's a Debian package now; it seems to start up OK, and generates a
>> couple of SSH keys.
>>
>> Then the X client closes off the initial configuration window, and
>> doesn't appear to offer a way to open another window to get to the
>> bits of the application involved in managing repositories.  So that's
>> looking pretty vastly useless, at this point.
> This is precisely the point I reached this evening, and we both have
> the same problem for the same reason: neither of us has Gnome.  I got
> to the point in the documentation where it says "Click the
> SparkleShare status icon ..."  I haven't found a solution to that one
> yet.  The sparkleshare process is running, but I have no idea how to
> invoke it to make changes, and Google hasn't been my friend so far.

I do use it.  It is nice but a bit buggy.  Which version are you using?

I'm using 0.2 in Ubuntu, which seems to work okayish.  The problem I
have is that the syncing between hosts is not always automatic as they
claim it to be.  I sometimes have to manually do a push or a pull using
the git command-line.

Otherwise, it is a great tool.  I'm surprised that it hasn't been ported
to Windows yet though.

Faisal