Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 7 19:56:06 UTC 2012

I think we're speaking past each other.  Historical convention has
accumulated a lot of baggage.  What you're typing only makes sense
in the ecosystem it's intended to be used.  If you're supposed to
care which library you're supposed to link with, then what you typed
is inadequate and vague.

Also, you're making selective argument.  For example, 'named' is
DNS server, and 'bind' is its package name.  Another, 'httpd' is
web server, and 'apache' is the package name.  In these and other
cases, you have to know their names and where they are coming from.
I'm merely saying that, if we had to care from the beginning, then
a lot of headache could be avoided.

--

William