Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 7 17:02:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:42:04AM -0800, William Park wrote:
> Most of libs are already symlinks, and it's so complicated now that
> you have to use /etc/ld.so.conf and /sbin/ldconfig.  If you're building
> list for libXXX.so, then you can do that for executables as well, say
> /etc/bin.conf and /sbin/binconfig.

It's pretty darn simple on any system I have ever used.  Libraries are in
/usr/lib for the most part.  Any symlinks are purely for the basename to
the specific version (to allow multiple versions to be installed at once).

> If you want something from GNU C library, you know it will be under
> /usr/glibc.  If you want something from Firefox, then you know it
> will be under /usr/firefox.  This pissing contest about package
> management is just waste of time and resources.

But it means I have to tell the link where EVERYTHING is.  What a mess.
Why do I care what the packagename is that provided libpthread.  Could be
glibc, eglibc, uclibc, who knows.

--
Len Sorensen