Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 7 16:42:04 UTC 2012

> From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 12:21:35AM -0500, William Park wrote:
>>  On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:43:09PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>>  > I've heard that OS/X does something like: all a package does is
>> > add a directory, and populates it with all the "stuff", including
>> > any executables.  The package manager does not have to be intricate,
>>  > policing shared directories.  Then the binary gets made accessible
>>  > somehow.  Symlink?  Union mount?
>>
>>  This would be a step in the right direction.  Each package should be
>>  given a directory, and it can do whatever under it.  This would simplify
>>  package management a LOT.  There is no need to share anything.  If you
>>  want something, you know exactly where it is.
>
> Because obviously packages never include libraries that one would want
> to share and the linker need to know where is.
>
> In other words: What an awful idea.

Most of libs are already symlinks, and it's so complicated now that
you have to use /etc/ld.so.conf and /sbin/ldconfig.  If you're building
list for libXXX.so, then you can do that for executables as well, say
/etc/bin.conf and /sbin/binconfig.

If you want something from GNU C library, you know it will be under
/usr/glibc.  If you want something from Firefox, then you know it
will be under /usr/firefox.  This pissing contest about package
management is just waste of time and resources.
--
William