wow: Automatic Licence Plate Recognition surveillance in BC

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 5 15:03:38 UTC 2012

| From: Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| It can recognize where your car is/was, at any point in time. Not you.
| Your car. And that's why we have licence plates - great big reflective
| legible things in strictly defined OCR-friendly typefaces - because we
| do not drive by right.

Privacy isn't binary.

We (rightly!) don't expect massive quantities of what we do in public
to be recorded, collated, and analyzed.

Not to mention analyzed badly, as alleged in this lawsuit:
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/workplace-quip-made-muslim-a-terror-suspect-lawsuit-alleges/article2325055/>

Think about it: this system could easily be scaled to keep track of
where most cars have been most of the time.  Not just cars of Bad Guys.
Not just "right now".  Apparently without oversight.

Heck, even the analysis of the implications seems to have been farmed
out, done inaccurately, and as an afterthought.

The Ontario Privacy Commissioner's "Privacy By Design" (almost a trade
mark) is a really basic idea that has apparently been ignored in this
system.