wow: Automatic Licence Plate Recognition surveillance in BC

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 5 14:15:55 UTC 2012

On 12-02-05 01:20 , D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> <http://www.focusonline.ca/?q=node/312>
>
> This may well apply to us to.

Bit of an outragefilter there:

 I think people should be outraged,” commented my fellow researcher
 McArthur. “The public needs to know what’s going on...The concept that
 somebody’s going to record where I was, at a point in time, for no
 reason, with no probable cause, with no warrant, with no anything...

It can recognize where your car is/was, at any point in time. Not you.
Your car. And that's why we have licence plates - great big reflective
legible things in strictly defined OCR-friendly typefaces - because we
do not drive by right.

I predict hilarity ensuing with that 95% accuracy thing, though.

 Stewart