nice paper on FireFox memory usage reduction

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 5 04:42:12 UTC 2012

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
| Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:25:25 -0500 (EST)

| <https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/9/93/LCA2012.pdf>
|
| I got this from slashdot
| <http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/01/17/1338225/notes-on-reducing-firefoxs-memory-consumption>

When I type "about:memory" into my firefox I get a lot of surprises.
For example 36MB of ram is used by a compartment for
www.facebook.com/;lugins/like...
I don't even use facebook!  Its caused by those nasty "like" buttons.
I'd like a non-rude way to block this kind of junk.  /etc/hosts
entries seem rude.

Google's plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbu... is taking 19MB.  And I
don't use it either.

I'd love an "about:time".  As it is, I have tons of CPU being eaten by
firefox and am too lazy to do a search through all my tabs to find the
villain(s).