Linux TV

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 3 19:04:26 UTC 2012

| From: Ted <ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

[top-posting is hard to read, so I've fixed your posting.]

| On 02/03/2012 01:23 PM, Jamon Camisso wrote:
| > > But only HDMI without HDCP.  Obviously there is HDCP used on the rogers
| > > box output.
| > >
| > > It is for people editing their own material, not for capturing from
| > > cable boxes.
| > Seems like there's still a way:
| > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4BkAzkCV8 - around 2:30 he describes
| > cabling.
| >
| > HDMI+HDCP (PS3) ->  DVI+SPDIF cables ->  HDMI signal ->  BlackMagic

| the converter box must be dropping the DRM HDCP packets?
| These types of converters were/are a target for shut down (by certain
| political bodies), and from what I saw, hard to get.
| Wonder if this is the case with this converter.

If HDCP is done as sensibly, this should be impossible without somehow
getting a private key for HDCP.  Pretty fishy if they've done this.

HDCP is supposed to do a handshake, with signatures, to prove to
upstream that downstream is worthy.  It is tricky but well-known how
to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks.  "Worthy" means: part of the
cartel enforcing non-leakage of signals.

I have not looked at the youtube video.  I assume that it requires Adobe
Flash, something I don't have on my desktop.