Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 3 02:17:06 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012 04:28 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>    In that case, why is the Fedora Project bragging about the specific
> benefits to Fedora?  See...
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove#Benefit_to_Fedora
>
>    The main reason for for the bad feelings towards Redhat/Fedora is that
> overhead for stuff that benefits Redhat/Fedora could be forced on other
> distros.

Those people with "bad feelings" are the ones with a problem, not the
Red Hat/Fedora folks. Who forces anything on anyone? The last I checked,
Gentoo folks were free to be as different as they wanted to be.

> If Fedora wants to use systemd, and it doesn't affect Gentoo,
> fine, I have no problems with that.  But when they make changes to basic
> system services like udevd that would force *ALL* distros to re-organize
> disk drives, that's when the complaints from everybody else starts.  If
> Fedora had gone with their own service/tool/add-on that was launched by
> udevd early on and did the Fedora thing, none of this animosity would've
> happened.

If udevd is so awful and it's going to "force *ALL* distros to
re-organize disk drives", whatever that means, it will die an ignoble
death regardless of who is behind it. If Gentoo folks, or others, don't
like it, they are free to come up with something better or ignore it.
You said there is a workaround. Maybe that will become "the standard".
The beauty of open source is that differences of opinion and
implementation aren't just tolerated but encouraged. I happily use
Fedora 16. I don't know what the fuss is about udevd and I like it that
way because it means it's working.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay