Have you ever edited OpenStreetMap ?

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 2 19:45:18 UTC 2012

Dear all,

It has been a while since my OpenStreetMap talk at TLUG[0].  It is
gratifying to see that several of you have become regular mappers, and
that even more of you at least dipped your toe into the mapping pool.
:-)  You'll recall from the 'most scintillating' slide in my talk that
OSM data is CC-By-SA[1], and transitioning to ODbL[2].  That
transition will be completed in early April after almost five years.
Part of that transition is asking each previous contributor for
permission to continue using their data under the new license.

So far, authors of ~99% of the data in Canada have agreed.  Mappers
have been reaching out to find the other mappers we've lost touch
with.  Today I was surprised to see a name I recognize from this list
hadn't replied yet.  Perhaps there are others.  If you have ever
contributed data (logged in and edited) to OpenStreetMap, please read
on and update your OSM contact details.

If you are curious to know more about OpenStreetMap, we have a vibrant
OpenStreetMap community in Southern Ontario, including groups that
meet monthly in Toronto and Waterloo Region. It would be super to have
you join us for refreshments and conversation some time! We keep our
schedules online here,

http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Toronto/
http://www.meetup.com/Waterloo-OSM/

I encourage you to have another look at OpenStreetMap and improve the
data in places that you care about.

You'll need to login and agree to the upgraded license and contributor terms.

http://openstreetmap.org/user/terms

This is important even if you don't plan to do any more mapping. We
need your permission to keep your earlier contributions and even if
they are few or modest, other mappers may have built upon them.

Feel free to send any questions you might have. I'll do my best to answer them.

Best regards and Mappy New Year,
Richard

[0] http://gtalug.org/wiki/Meetings:2009-02
[1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/