Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 2 01:38:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 01:34:32PM -0500, Glen Strom wrote
> On 02/01/2012 08:19 AM, James Knott wrote:
> > I found this recently on Groklaw:
> > http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
>
> Fedora wants to merge /usr.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge

  The sad part is that Redhat (the people behind Fedora) also employ the
lead developers for udev, and they're trying to make udev unuseable
without /usr being present.  For the average user, udev is a necessity.
By hiring/co-opting the udev lead developers, Redhat hopes to ram the
Redhat-compatable format down everybody elses's throats.

  Well, I'm not the average user.  See...
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_bc91b392ee0f76376104591cdf7dc5f0.xml
for Gentoo-specific instructions on how to use busybox's mdev in place
of udev.  It runs fine on my desktop.  There may be exotic stuff that
requires udev, but I get along fine with mdev.