Looking for suggestions about new computer power supply

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 19 19:11:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> The power supply in my 4 to 5 year old HP m7680n seems to be on its way out.
> Usually I need to replace the supply due to the fan bearings wearing out.
> This time it is more than a fan problem. It won't turn on via the front
> power button and I've had occasional system lockups (and kernel crashes).

The @#$% annoying problem with so many "name" brand PCs (Dell, HP,
etc.) is that they use just slightly non-standard power supplies. So,
I have seen power supplies where the mounting holes were is the
"wrong" position so that you could only use a replacement power supply
for that model from the name brand supplier.

All this is to wish you well on your quest for a non-HP power supply
to replace an HP power supply, but... if I were forced to bet (and I
am not big on betting) I would expect that there will be some sort of
hick-up that will stop a generic PC power supply from being used with
your current HP (read it means you will either have to go to HP or
junk the machine :-( ).

This does explain why I have been just going with more-or-less generic
PCs (laptop being an exception). If the power supply in one of my
desktop PCs fails I know I can go to any of dozens of PC shops in the
GTA and get something that will work okay...