Linux help installing redhat harddrive into another computer and

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 19 01:32:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:23:43 -0500
"Shane Powell" <shane-abz+RtKofAfQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> We have an old accounting software that is Linux based (redhat). We had
> it networked with a dedicated IP that we used an old terminal software
> to access it.
>
> The desktop hardware just crapped out. We tried to move the harddrive
> into another computer but ran into configuration issues... we can't get
> the kernal to recognize the ethernet adapter to connect to our network
> and give us an IP so we can update the terminal software access script.
>
> The job to me sounds easy, but for some reason people are not able to
> help. I've been told that we need to add the specific driver module for
> the ethernet adapter to the linux kernel and recompile. This is fine,
> but then we need the existing accounting software to still be installed
> or to be reinstalled.
>
> Let me know,
>
> Shane

Shane,

   Is this a hard drive with an ethernet connection?

   I had a problem similar to that of Giles Orr.  I swapped backup hard drives, and everything got weird.  Eventually, I determined that my hard drive partitions were labelled.  I had two home partitions and two userlocal partitions.  My new backup drive was my old primary drive.  I renamed the drive labels, and everthing was fine.

   My drives all renumbered themselves once, when I installed a new sound card.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard.gibson-PadmjKOQAFnQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org