Linux terminal/SSH clients

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 13 17:32:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Among some of the nice features are:
> - Tree/folder view of servers, so you can have a webservers "folder" with
> webservers nicely categorized beneath that
> - Split window tabs, so you can have the window split with 3 webservers tabs
> open on the top, and 2 application servers in the bottom, etc
>
> Anyone know of a Linux client which offers similar features. The tabs would
> be a nice-to-have but with hundreds of servers to manage the tree/folder
> view is what I'm really looking for.

I fully expect to take some flak for this, but so be it; I would (and
eventually intend to) use JavaScript for this.

My reasons are as follows:

- Ubiquity - all you need is a browser and a small library*
<https://github.com/chjj/tty.js>
- Secure Channel - using HTTPS
- Customization - Wrapping the terminal screen into views (trees/tabs)
is a relatively simple task

I forked this project as soon as I heard about with the intention of
writing a tool like the one you describe.  Unfortunately I'm tied up
seven ways from sundown at the moment.  (That said, if there was a
contract offer I'd put some personal items on the back burner to jump
on it)

Anyway, some food for thought.

Best regards
- Scott

* Interestingly enough, the client-side portion is derived (with
permission) from JS/Linux

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more