Problems with Canon CR2 raw decode in ufraw/gimp

Vic Gedris vic-2vUEnoANFF8dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 8 19:02:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>   The problem I'm having right now is that the ufraw plugin for GIMP
> decodes the CR2 raw file to a garish, monochrome, black and pink image.
> I tried a few test shots with auto-white-balance, and the JPEG versions
> look fine.  The EXIF data on the JPEGs confirms that I used auto white
> balance.  The JPEG versions of the images look OK.  As a matter of fact,
> gqview decodes the CR2 files OK when viewing them.  The problem appears
> to be UFRAW (and/or the underlying DCRAW code, which I also tried in
> standalone mode and got pink images).

Here's my impression:  I think the latest ufraw is just using a
slightly old version of dcraw that does not have support of the Canon
S100.  ufraw's website does not show this camera as being supported,
but the dcraw page does.

You may be able to grab the dcraw code and update the ufraw code with
it, though I have no idea if ufraw does any major mangling of it...

I think the reason that gqview/geeqie works with raw files (and so
quickly too!) is that it actually reads the embedded jpeg file rather
than decoding the raw file on the fly.

>   For the time being, I'm playing around with RawTherapee
> http://www.rawtherapee.com/  There's even an ebuild for Gentoo linux.
> It appears to load and decode the CR2 file OK.  It can then pass the
> result to GIMP as a 16-bit-per-pixel TIFF file.  There's a warning that
> GIMP truncates the data to 8-bits-per-pixel, but it seems to work OK.

Rawtherapee looks great, though I haven't made the switch from ufraw
yet due to lack of time to learn it.  But I'm guessing they also use a
newer dcraw, and that's why it supports your camera.

Cheers,
Vic