Problems with Canon CR2 raw decode in ufraw/gimp

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 8 18:59:29 UTC 2012

On 08-12-12 12:51 , Giles Orr wrote:

> ... storing the image on your camera takes
> proportionately longer, significantly increasing an already too-long
> inter-shot time.

I have an S100, too. With a Class 10 card, you barely notice the delay
of raw. I don't often shoot raw, but when I need it (I'm a sucker for
brain-melting HDR, alas), I want it.

My main reason for having an S100 is its very accurate GPS for
OpenStreetMap work.

> Linux handling of RAW has been pretty much crap from the get-go

I don't think that's entirely fair. dcraw is the basis of most
commercial raw packages. It's the >8bpp workflow that's been missing
from Linux. Gimp is better at this in 2.8+ than before, but it's not
completely there yet.

cheers,
 Stewart