Fedora Core 2 !

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 7 02:56:16 UTC 2012

On 12-12-06 08:20 PM, Alan Cohen wrote:
> I have an old machine (that I havn't used in years) running Fedora Core-2.
> I used to start up X11 with STARTX. Since the last time I used it, I
> changed to a Samsung monitor and now I only get the message:
> "Not optimum mode
> Recommended mode 1920x1080 analog"

Wow. It's been a while since I've thought about the contents of the X
configuration file. FC2 goes back a few years. I stopped using FC around the
time FC9 was released.

The first thing you want to do is check the Monitor section and set the
limits for the horizontal and vertical sync frequencies to the limits of the
new monitor.

There used to be some video card timing parameters in the configuration
file. xvidtune was useful in fine tuning those values (located in the
Modeline sections) for the various display resolutions you wanted to use. At
least it was useful back in the X86 days. With the release of xorg that
Modeline timing information has either moved to a new location (not known to
me) or it has been removed altogether.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.