Problems with Canon CR2 raw decode in ufraw/gimp

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 5 23:28:37 UTC 2012

  The raw file decodes to a garish "monochrome" blank and pink.  Help!!!
I've recently gotten myself a new toy http://www.henrys.com/66453-CANON-POWERSHOT-S100-IS-BLACK-12MP-5X-WIDE-ANGLE.aspx
Despite the fact that it looks like a standard consumer point-n-shoot,
it has a larger-than-average sensor, goes up to ISO 6400, and shoots
raw.  The most major linux annoyance is that it does not show up as USB
mass storage device.  I solve that by reading directly from the memory
card.

  The problem I'm having right now is that the ufraw plugin for GIMP
decodes the CR2 raw file to a garish, monochrome, black and pink image.
I tried a few test shots with auto-white-balance, and the JPEG versions
look fine.  The EXIF data on the JPEGs confirms that I used auto white
balance.  The JPEG versions of the images look OK.  As a matter of fact,
gqview decodes the CR2 files OK when viewing them.  The problem appears
to be UFRAW (and/or the underlying DCRAW code, which I also tried in
standalone mode and got pink images).

  Google searching was useless.  Apparently, this was a known problem in
UFRAW 0.13, and fixed in 0.15.  I've got 0.18 on my system.  The generic
solution on Google appears to be to use a CR2-to-DNG conversion utility,
and then work with the DNG version.  Do you know of any convertors that
run under linux?  I'd even settle for free Windows utils that run under
WINE.

  For the time being, I'm playing around with RawTherapee
http://www.rawtherapee.com/  There's even an ebuild for Gentoo linux.
It appears to load and decode the CR2 file OK.  It can then pass the
result to GIMP as a 16-bit-per-pixel TIFF file.  There's a warning that
GIMP truncates the data to 8-bits-per-pixel, but it seems to work OK.