(question) 3 antenna wireless card -- work with only 1 antenna?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 28 14:36:55 UTC 2012

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Some will.  Some won't.  At best you will get 150Mbps (and that's the
> theoretical max).
>
> Two antennas max out at 300, and three antennas max out at 450Mbps.

I recently read a book about 802.11n and how it uses MIMO to gain
bandwidth.  It actually relies on multi-path propogation to do this.  I
wonder what would happen if a 3 antenna access point were to be
connected to high gain directional antennas.  The book didn't get into
that situation, but the directional antennas would reduce the chance of
multi-path.  There are single antenna 802.11n access points, but they
would lose much of the MIMO advantage.  Also, if you use an interior
grade access point or router, you'll have to protect it from the
weather, as you don't want to use a long cable to connect it to the antenna.

You may want to consider something like this:
<http://www.engeniustech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=89:outdoor-access-points-client-bridges&id=9205:eoc5611p&Itemid=123>

Canada Computers has a few models of outdoor access points.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimo>