A Generation Lost in the Bazaar - Poul-Henning Kamp article

Ben Walton bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 23 19:48:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Chris F.A. Johnson
<chris-E7bvbYbpR6jSUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Kevin Cozens wrote:
>
>> On 12-08-22 08:15 PM, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>>     Or write a wrapper function for ls that implements, say, -D.
>>

>> -D is already in use.
>>
>>       -D, --dired
>>              generate output designed for Emacs' dired mode
>

>    Non-standard; no reason not to hijack it for other purposes.
>
>    Or choose something else.

Having interacted with the coreutils (and the underpinning gnulib)
folks a bit, I'd almost bet that a new option as opposed to changing
the meaning of an existing one is the only way forward there.  Getting
any new option introduced to the coreutils programs requires a well
written proposal and most of the time the code to back it. :)

I should search the archives though as I can't imagine that nobody
proposed such an option in the past.  It is something people do
frequently.

Thanks
-Ben
Ben Walton <bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

Take the risk of thinking for yourself.  Much more happiness,
truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens