A Generation Lost in the Bazaar - Poul-Henning Kamp article

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 22 22:37:03 UTC 2012

>>> Why is it that the ls command doesn't
>>> have an option of showing only directories?
>>
>> ls -d */
>>

> Sure, but why do I have to add the cryptic */ to this? Why not just ls -d?
>
> P.

What happens when you do ls -d? You get '.'

According to the manual entry:

-d, --directory
              list directory entries instead of contents, and do not
dereference symbolic links

In other words, if you use ls -d, it tells you 'you are in the current
directory', or more colloquially: you are where you are. That's not a huge
amount of information.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto