New computer, recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 20 21:37:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 04:29:54PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> I got something quite similar: Asus Sabertooth X79, Intel core-i7 3930k,
> and the same memory pack; I added an Intel 240G SSD and a CPU thermal
> cooler, all in a CoolerMaster HAF 951 (currently on sale). It runs very
> fast, reasonably quiet, and very cool. So far stable as can be. Haven't
> tried anything with USB3 yet. Thanks to all for advice!

Oh one of the unlocked CPUs.  I figured the 3820 was sufficiently fast
for the job and a fair chunk cheaper.

I do have a pair of Vortex 3 120GB drives in hardware raid1.  They are
nice and fast.  The intel's should be even faster I would think.

I do find the 32GB of ram to be quite something.

I also just noticed that the mythfrontend seems to leak:

 6103 mythtv    20   0 22.7g  14g    0 R 100.1 47.4  25919:58 mythfrontend

Isn't that nice?  Seems to be spinning on the CPU as well.

--
Len Sorensen