UID, GID, and all that

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 19 03:40:08 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 10:02:14PM -0400, Mel Wilson wrote:

> Create a group 1002 on your new system and add joe to that group?  Would
> that work?  I did the same thing lately, but because the new user number
> and group number happened to be the same as the ones on the old disk, I
> just mounted the old disk and used the files, fat, dumb, and happy.

Fat dumb and happy is the condition I'm aspiring to! But I think it's going
to take a find-and-chgrp to make it moderately straightforward. Otherwise the
new joe will just happen to belong to two different groups, and the files will
therefore have different permissions/access rights.

Don't know *why* I didn't have the same luck as you -- near as I can tell,
joe is UID/GID = 1000 on both computers. (Hard to tell on the one that's
failed, admittedly.) Perhaps it has something to do with how the disc is
mounted...

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42