UID, GID, and all that

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 19 01:50:08 UTC 2012

Here's a question I should know the answer to but I'm too jet-lagged to think
of it. I'm rebuilding a system, and I've set up a new boot disk, which involved
creating a new everyday user (call him "joe"). I've mounted the old hard disk
with lots of stuff on it that belonged to joe on the old failed system. But now
while the files are identified as owned by joe as the user, the group id is not
"joe" or "user" but "1002" (no such group). I suppose I could run a massive
find-and-chgrp command, but I can't be the first person to face this problem,
and there must be a simple solution, which I just can't think of right now.
Anyone care to tell me the simple and obvious one-line solution? Even two lines
would do. Thanks.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42