ZyXEL rack mount modems...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 18 19:34:07 UTC 2012

jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> They are much like serial consoles - you still use them a lot in the datacenter world.
> You know, I've often wondered whether amodem could be used to connect to a serial port.

Yes it can.  Several years ago, I had dial up access to my Linux
computer using a modem and PPP.  I had to use proxy arp to give my
remote computer an IP address on my LAN.  Long before that, I used to
dial into a VAX 11/780 at work, using my IMSAI 8080 as a terminal.

BTW, interesting story about how I got my first modem.  One day my wife
was visiting me at my office and I showed her the Adventure game on the
VAX.  She asked if she could play it on my computer.  I told her no, but
if we had a modem...

I was soon the proud owner of a 300B manual modem.  :-)