Rogers, Android, tethering...

Ori Idan ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 15 18:42:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Alejandro Imass <aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Aaron Doucette <instantkamera-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > What about tethering wirelessly? I know my stock Nexus S has had that
> > capability since I got it, is that feature blocked in proprietary
> firmwares?
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Peter King <peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have been trying to tether my laptop (running gentoo) to my Android
> >> phone
> >> (Samsung Galaxy S non-rooted). According to the gentoo wiki page, one
> need
> >> only enable certain kernel options -- for USB network adapters, enable
> the
>

> I second Aaron. Forget about the USB tethering and use the portable
> hotspot feature.

Using the hotspot takes much more energy while tethering uses power from
the computer.
I don't think it makes any difference regarding connecting the internet.
I sometimes got the same problems as he described and did not find a
solution. Sometimes it work and sometimes it doesn't (I tried both
tethering and hotspot).
I would be happy to know how to solve this problem.

--
Ori Idan