Rogers, Android, tethering...

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 15 18:07:33 UTC 2012

I have been trying to tether my laptop (running gentoo) to my Android phone
(Samsung Galaxy S non-rooted). According to the gentoo wiki page, one need
only enable certain kernel options -- for USB network adapters, enable the
multipurpose USB networking and then CDC ethernet, CDCEEM, simple USB links,
and host for RNDIS, as well as embedded ARM linux -- and then plug in the
phone to USB, select the "tethering" option from the settings menu, and you
are good to go. And indeed, having done those things, I was rewarded with
a usb0 networking device, on which I ran dhcpcd usb0 and got a network address
and an entry in resolv.conf. Both route and ifconfig looked fine.

Then, nothing.

I could ping the phone from the computer, but no external sites. Nor did it
work with a different set of nameservers, nor with ssh (for which there is
no need for a DNS lookup). Nada.

If I try to ping an external site, I do see the regular "4G" green up-arrow
flashing, suggesting that data packets are leaving the phone, at least.

Either I'm doing something wrong, which is likely since I'm an utter novice
at this, or Rogers has figured out a way to block home tethering. I pay for
a data plan, but not for separate tethering. But I don't see how they can
tell when the phone is communicating on its own, so to speak, and when it
is merely proxy for a computer behind it.

Anyone know what the story is? Ideas, advice, suggestions?

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42