New computer, recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 14 14:39:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 08:09:19PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Question:
>     Why did you choose Socket 2011 over Socket 1155?  They're both i7,
>     butSocket 2011 motherboard is more expensive and need video card.

Because I want to use my existing video card anyhow, and socket 2011
have a lot more memory bandwidth and can take more ram too.

Quad channel ram beats dual channel ram for performance.

I was also a bit limited in that I wanted a board without onboard video
and which had 1 PCI slot (I still want to use my PVR500 card for a while).
I also like boards built to last, which the sabertooth line is and the
Z77 sabertooh has no PCI, while the X79 has exactly one and the X79
doesn't have onboard video, but does have firewire and lots of USB and
all the other useful stuff.

--
Len Sorensen