New computer, recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 13 16:13:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 09:53:05PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> Yes indeed. As far as I can tell, the Asus X79 offers the choice of disabling
> the UEFI and booting in legacy-BIOS mode (which gets around such problems).
> In addition, there is a gentoo-wiki page on how to set up a system with UEFI
> that gives me hope that this motherboard, at least, can be set up to run
> Linux.

Legacy boot support is automatic.  It tries to boot with UEFI's EFI
boot first, and then falls back to legacy emulation booting if needed.
You don't even need to know it is happening, it just works.

But you might save 2 or 3 seconds of boot time if you do EFI booting
directly.

> Since Lennart is using it, I'm sure that it can run Debian!

Oh it certainly does.

--
Len Sorensen