New computer, recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 13 16:09:06 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 05:49:33PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> How is it for heat/noise? I'm perfectly willing to buy a case so if there
> is something you like that doesn't fit in an HTPC case...

So far the noise is slightly less than my Q6600 was making (with a very
good fan on it).  I sure don't hear it running.  Maybe if I fired up
folding at home for a while on all the cores it would make a bit more noise.

> Oh, and cost (roughly)?

Well the ram was $200, the CPU about $300 and the motherboard about
$300 as well and then another $60 or so for the fan I think.  With taxes
about $1000.  It is crazy fast though.

Only thing not working well on it with linux is the USB3 ports.
Those seem to have some driver issues still.  I accidentally connected
the HD-PVR to a USB3 port and it took down the box within a few hours
with a lot of kernel log messsages complaining.

I suspect the USB3 drivers will get fixed eventually.

--
Len Sorensen