New computer, recommendations?

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 13 01:53:05 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 08:19:39PM -0400, John Martin wrote:

> > Out of curiosity: Did you use the UEFI "bios" on the board, or go for
> > legacy-BIOS mode? And whichever path you took, was it straightforward?
>
> I haven't actually bought a new system in several years. However, I
> understand that machines built for Windows 8 may make it difficult to
> run anything other than Windows 8 so if you plan to run Linux on it,
> be careful!

Yes indeed. As far as I can tell, the Asus X79 offers the choice of disabling
the UEFI and booting in legacy-BIOS mode (which gets around such problems).
In addition, there is a gentoo-wiki page on how to set up a system with UEFI
that gives me hope that this motherboard, at least, can be set up to run
Linux.

Since Lennart is using it, I'm sure that it can run Debian!

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42