CDE Unix desktop open sourced

Jason Nicolaides voidpointer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 17:52:07 UTC 2012

Maybe it's my inexperience with CDE and commercial UNIX in general but I
*like* the look and feel of CDE.  I have always had a fascination with CDE
to the point of configuring fvwm to look and behave similarly with a Front
Panel like bar at the bottom.  I think it's the fact that CDE looks nothing
like Windows and only trivially to Mac OSX.  These days most Desktop
Environments like KDE or Xfce try too hard to be like Windows or Mac OSX,
with the thought of trying to Linux easier and more familiar, perhaps.  I
like the distinctive look of CDE over this.

Reading the Wiki for CDE on Sourceforge, it seems it will build only on
certain distros.  I think when I get some time I will install a supported
platform and give it a whirl.