Straight from the horse's mouth

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 09:59:03 UTC 2012

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html

Well, we intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd outside of
systemd. But that's about it. We will not polish that, or add new
features to that or anything.

OTOH we do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd however,
and that's our primary focus.

And what we will certainly not do is compromise the uniform integration
into systemd for some cosmetic improvements for non-systemd systems.

(Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case you
haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we can drop
that support entirely.)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.