The TTC bylaws regarding the use of transfers are Draconian, nonsensical and business unfriendly.

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 11 16:37:55 UTC 2012

On 12-08-11 11:34 AM, charles chris wrote:
> Ttc thinks a switch to time based transfer will cost 12-20 million. 30%
> of this cost will be paid by metro toronto

This kind of genius is why we pay the fare collectors the 6 figure salaries.

In Berlin, most subway stations are unmanned.  It's much like the GO
system, where it's proof-of-payment with a ticket stamp in the vehicle.
 Trained fare inspectors randomly check the vehicles, and the fines are
set at reasonable levels.

There's a ABC zone system.  Inspectors make it possible to have flexible
fares.  There are special fares for bicycles, children or dogs, seniors
and even short-trips.  There are daypasses, weekly passes, monthly
passes, multi-stamp tickets and normal single fare time-limited, good
for a return trip ticket.

There are SO many advantages to this kind of system.  No more
turnstiles, no more bottleneck at the TTC operator.  Just walk on the
train or streetcar.  Note that streetcars don't open their doors when
the traffic lights are green, but because the operator isn't wasting
everyone's time collecting fares, everyone exits and boards within a
single cycle of the lights.

For those who haven't seen an ABC zone system, imagine the downtown core
as zone A, the 401 forming a ring at zone B, and Markham, Vaughn,
Mississauga etc. as Zone C.  You can buy an AB ticket, a BC ticket, or
an ABC ticket.

Toronto's system is GROSSLY unfair for people living on minimum wage in
outer Scarborough or Etobicoke.  The streets are hostile for bicycles,
and $6 to get to the laundromat and back means that people just load up
their laundry buggies and grocery buggies and walk for a half hour to 45
minutes to get to the strip mall.

Grr.. Deep breath.

(I think I'm way off topic for the list.  We should save this for a
meeting.)

-Mike