Curious why Mars rover has such a dinky camera and computer? - Future of Tech on NBCNews.com

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 10 22:37:19 UTC 2012

Ben
> > > Given the time frame when the specs on these were nailed down, I
wonder if
> > > the version of vxworks is vulnerable to the root exploit via the wide
open
> > > management port? :)
> >
> > Why don't you drop by and check the port on it. :)
>
> I look forward to the day that that option exists!

I actually don't think that will happen in our life time if ever.

It took USA back 2.5 billion dollars to deliver curiosity.  If you were to
deliver a human one way like curiosity , it would easily cost at least 10
times more as a lot safety features and survival weight will need to be
deployed.

If you try to organize for a return trip, the financial implications start
looking scarcely. That and the risk of it failing despite all that
preparation.

If you look at the financial health of most countries across the globe now,
its not hard to see why I think we can't obsorb such a financial weight.
And frankly I think its not worth it, robots are far more effective in
these kind of missions.

William