New computer, recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 10 20:46:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 04:32:22PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> I have to replace my flakey Athlon Phenom II system with something that I
> hope will be more reliable and more quiet. I've had very good luck with i7
> systems, so I thought that would be a reasonable way to go. I also have an
> Asus Xonar sound card to migrate. But otherwise, I'm in the market for a new
> system: running quiet and running cool are important.
>
> Suggestions? What to buy? What to avoid?

Well I just upgraded my mythtv box.  So far it is running very nicely.

I got an Asus X79 Sabertooth with an intel core-i7 3820 and a 4x8GB pack
of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 ram.  I got a SCBSK-2100 cpu fan since it has
to fit in an HTPC case and height is a slight problem sometimes.

Of course in my case the mythtv box is the central server of everything
in the house.

--
Len Sorensen