The TTC bylaws regarding the use of transfers are Draconian, nonsensical and business unfriendly.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 9 21:22:58 UTC 2012

| From: charles chris <cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

[I understand that the drivers have to enforce policy.  Arguing with them
isn't likely to lead to a good outcome.  In fact, they are concerned about
being assaulted by customers, something that apparently happens all too
often, so it can lead to the police being called.]

| The rules stipulate that ... transfers must be used at transfer points.

On topic for TLUG:

To go to TLUG, I used to travel south on the Yonge line, get off at
College (with my transfer) and walk towards the U of T.  If a street car
came along, I'd board it.  Otherwise, I'd walk the whole way.  Each
outcome happened perhaps 50% of the time.

After doing that for a few years, the streetcar drivers started to refuse
me a ride.  Those are the rules.

Since then, the College streetcar has been useless to me since it is so
random and infrequent.  More recently, I could go to a website to tell me
when the next streetcar is coming, but I cannot consult it from the subway
since there is no internet access there.  Perhaps I could try when the
train is at Rosedale (some cell connectivity).

So: a bunch of interconnected annoyances.