Hi-res refurb Dell laptop. Comments?

Digimer lists-5ZoueyuiTZiw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 3 16:00:36 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 11:49 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 08:41:22AM -0700, Tyler Aviss wrote:
>> Hey LUG'ers,
>>
>> I've currently got an Asus laptop. Beautiful power with a Core i7, 8GB
>> of RAM, etc.
>>
>> However, I've been doing a lot of dev work lately, and the one falling
>> point I've run into is that 1366x768 isn't a lot of real-estate
>> screen-size
>>
>> I started looking at what's available for larger screens, and noticed
>> this little guy with a 1920x1200 native LCD resolution.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200599&Tpk=M6300
>>
>> Obviously it's a bit older and the Core2 probably isn't going to keep
>> up with my i7, but according to here the Linux compatibility is good:
>>    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/dell+precision+m6300
>>
>> Anyone have one of these and/or know how well it performs on a recent
>> linux distro? At $267 the price is quite nice...
>
> The specs are not bad, screen seems nice.  Of course it is a Dell laptop
> and those don't exactly have a reputation of being reliable (and the
> reputation is well deserved).
>
> But it is pretty cheap.
>
> RAM and HD is rather puny.

DDR2 is going to be hard/expensive to find.

It's nowhere near the price point, but if you're looking for more power,
I've been rediculously happy with my Thinkpad W530. The new keyboard
layout bugs me, but that's because I'm a traditionalist. They keys
themselves are very responsive and have awesome feedback. The screen is
a dream, too. I opted for the 1920x1080 screen. It's upgradeable to 32GB
and supports the i7 quad core. I swapped out the HDD for an SSD after
receiving it (their prices was unreasonable to do it at build time).

Anyway, an option. As for Dell quality; I have to echo Lennart. My
experience is very poor with Dell as a former support tech. I hated
working on them.

--
Digimer