kernel module for armel

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 2 13:13:24 UTC 2012

As mentioned at Ian Darwin's presentation, I have a Rikomagic(?) mk802
"Mini Android 4.0 Computer" (what's in quotes is ALL the information
you get on the box).  I've added a somewhat rambling page about it on
my website if anyone is interested:
http://www.gilesorr.com/misc/mk802.html .  I'm not really recommending
the page, but I know there was some interest in the device.

I've got the Lubuntu armel distro (
http://rikomagic.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90 Ubuntu precise
12.04 ) working reasonably well on the mk802.  But not all kernel
modules are included.

# uname -a
Linux miniand 3.0.36-t1+ #14 PREEMPT Tue Jul 3 12:27:08 EST 2012
armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

I found a file in the distro, /lib/modules/3.0.36-t1+/modules.builtin
, which I assume is the list of compiled-in modules?  I have a -
admittedly very old - Linksys USB100TX usb-to-ethernet adapter I've
used successfully on a couple other distros.  It's supported by the
paradise.ko module, but that module isn't in the builtin list, or
among the available modules.  Is there a simple way to compile just
the one module - or better yet, simply download it?

I would also be willing to buy a newer (preferably cheap)
usb-to-ethernet if there's a good reason to do so.  I'd prefer to have
this device running over a wire rather than on wireless.

As a matter of personal interest: comments online suggest that the
Allwinner A10 chip in this device would run armhf fine, but most of
the distros for this device are based on armel, and that armhf would
run faster.  Is this true, and if so, why are the distros based on
armel?

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/