Avoiding unattended upgrades?

charles chris cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 29 03:05:11 UTC 2012

I always install OS onto free space!

I always  disable automatic updates!

In Windows I always disable system restore

I don't know why certain sites like yahoo mail coerce upgrading the browser

Internet Explorer should never be upgraded while connected to the Internet

In Windows I avoid installing software while connected to the Internet

Linux is more secure and often requires installations be done from the
Internet

As far as data is concerned, I always move the data folders (documents,
pics, music, videos, downloads, favorites, outlook data folders) to a
separate partition (Linux and Windows).  Linux home directory remains on
the Linux native partition.

I also create an image of the partition that contains the OS/programs and
this image exists as 1 or more files written to the NTFS data partition.

Just before I create the image, I like to schedule a scandisk to
automatically fix errors on data partition and a boot-time virus scan to
automatically delete viruses found on the data partition.

To rescue the OS, simply restore the image to wipe OS partition and reset
it back to original state when image was created.

Because the data is NOT on the same partition as the OS, the data remains
intact, untouched by the rescue procedure.

This is the work of Drpcdr.ca

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Debian : depends on if the applications you use are available, or if you
> have source-installs etc that may not work. There's a fair but of stuff in
> ubuntu that may not be as readily available in Debian.
>
> One thing that's helpful is to back up your list of installed packages
> with "dpkg --get-selections > /path/to/backup.txt" prior to blowing away
> the current OS.
> On Apr 28, 2012 3:50 PM, "Mel Wilson" <mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> I see that Ubuntu is back to pushing unattended upgrades last thing in
>> its security updates.  My gut feeling is to disapprove: I don't think I'm
>> my most productive if I constantly wonder what might have happened to my
>> toolchains and system while my back was turned.  Two questions:
>>
>> 1) Am I overreacting?
>>
>> 2) Are there any serious caveats about installing, say, Debian instead?
>>  I have my /home directories sequestered and backed up.  I've learned that
>> much, at least.
>>
>>    Thanks,        Mel.
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/