SSDs

Alex Volkov avolkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 17:56:09 UTC 2012

Short answer is yes,

SSD give a big improvement insofar as I'd say on laptops they are a
must, as an added benefit, battery life somewhat improves and that
grinding sound disappears, now only CPU fan annoys me.

Mine has read write speed of 500-550 MiB/s. compared to realistically
200MiB for hard drives. Also SSDs don't have  seek time issue so small
files are copied significantly faster.

I used not to have swap partition, but since the easiest way of enabling
hibernation is to dump everything into swap, now I have one, I also
moved /tmp to RAM, besides that and some tweaking of block allocation in
lvm/ext4 I use it as a normal disk, though mine drive is slightly old
now, you might not even need to do that.

Disk IO is the slowest part of any computer these days and apart from
the fact that RAM is dirt cheap and everyone should max out their
systems with it, switching to SSDs for root/home should be the next upgrade.

Besides that you might want to tweak IO scheduler, also how many CPUs
your system has?

As a second thought, if you get SSD that is big enough, mount home
partition under it as well, and mount all the directories that contain
large files into /home.

Alex.