Iomega Storage Centre

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 20 22:32:09 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 08:47:01PM +0000, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:

> Dell has this Iomega data storage unit on sale. Anyone familiar with it?
>
> http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Hard_Drives_Storage/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A4768772
>
> I am in need of setting up my home file and print server again as my old Debian server had a hard drive crash (old stuff). I have a P4 set aside for the server, but have wondered whether I should get something with a smaller footprint that is designed for this purpose. The Iomega unit is more than I need, although the storage capacity would come in handy when I start doing the video editing that I intend to do shortly. The Iomega "cloud" (file sharing) etc. is also appealing. It also has a print server.
>
> The Linux distros that it claims it's compatible with are pretty old.
>
> For anyone who is familiar with this type of product, I have a few questions:
> 1) Should the newer distros also not work with this unit?
> 2) It says it has a print server (USB ports). Would it be a separate print server than the OS? If so, how would we know if the printer is compatible? I suppose it's more likely to be the OS's print server.
> 3) To use file sharing from remote locations (the cloud), I assume it would require some server on the internet. Don't some ISPs (Bell and Rogers for example) block servers on consumer internet service?
>
> Any thoughts on this? I'm interested, but not so sure it's for me.

Could put debian on it:

http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Ix2-200_Debian_Installation

It has a marvell kirkwood arm processor and runs a debian lenny based
system out of the box.

iomega has a 559MB download of the open source code in use on it.
I suspect it has some not open source stuff on it too that you don't
get though.

--
Len Sorensen