Iomega Storage Centre

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 20 20:47:01 UTC 2012

Dell has this Iomega data storage unit on sale. Anyone familiar with it?

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Hard_Drives_Storage/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A4768772

I am in need of setting up my home file and print server again as my old Debian server had a hard drive crash (old stuff). I have a P4 set aside for the server, but have wondered whether I should get something with a smaller footprint that is designed for this purpose. The Iomega unit is more than I need, although the storage capacity would come in handy when I start doing the video editing that I intend to do shortly. The Iomega "cloud" (file sharing) etc. is also appealing. It also has a print server.

The Linux distros that it claims it's compatible with are pretty old.

For anyone who is familiar with this type of product, I have a few questions:
1) Should the newer distros also not work with this unit?
2) It says it has a print server (USB ports). Would it be a separate print server than the OS? If so, how would we know if the printer is compatible? I suppose it's more likely to be the OS's print server.
3) To use file sharing from remote locations (the cloud), I assume it would require some server on the internet. Don't some ISPs (Bell and Rogers for example) block servers on consumer internet service?

Any thoughts on this? I'm interested, but not so sure it's for me.

Thanks,

John.