Public IP on loop back interface

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 18 11:22:18 UTC 2012

William Muriithi wrote:
> I am curious, have anybody ever seen a system using a public IP for
> loop back interface instead of 127.0.0.1?

Never instead of, but sometimes in addition to.

For some high-end router protocols, each node having a canonical address
that isn't subject to the whim of which particular interfaces and routes
are up can be useful.  Cisco docs referred to it as a loopback address
(confusingly, but it's been several years) or router ID, and the Linux
boxes I was doing equivalent stuff on would have a public /32 address
bound to lo:0 in addition to the usual lo 127.0.0.1.

--
Anthony de Boer