Public IP on loop back interface

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 17 01:57:20 UTC 2012

It's sometimes used in mac-based load balancing.

You add the shared IP to the loopback.  Then when a frame hits your
server with the destination IP address, the packet happily goes up the
stack.  The reply packet goes out the normal route because it doesn't
care about the source mac.

( Linux sometimes needs some ARP trickery or a custom kernel to prevent
it from advertising the address though. )

... but I can't think of any other reason.