Odd (?) Connectivity Problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 13 21:40:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 04:13:19PM -0400, Phillip Mills wrote:
> I suppose that's a possibility.
>
> I'd be more convinced if they hadn't reconfigured their DNS servers at the same time as the problem started, or weren't telling a large number of customers to do router resets, or the router had any problems connecting...but, maybe.  ...or the router is too old or otherwise incapable of dealing with whatever changes they made.

It may be that something they did is making it trigger the problem,
but those boxes are ancient, and had issues even when they were new.
Given it works fine with you don't use the linksys, I would very much
point the blame at the linksys.

I do not have fond memories of the BEFSR41.

I did some searching, adn as part of testing for dnssec, the BEFSR41 was
found to not support tcp dns queries through it's dns proxy (so using
the router as your dns to then forward the requests on to whatever dhcp
told it to use from the isp), nor does it handle udp packets larger
than 1472 bytes (which could be a problem for records with IPv6 info,
or at least a lot of entries).  So overall, it does look a bit broken.

I am trying to remember if it has a setting to pass the upstream DNS
setting to the dhcp clients locally rather than using a dns proxy on
the router.  Of course you could also just configure it to hand out
8.8.8.8 as DNS to your dhcp clients and be done with it.

The test report I found shows the WRT54G as having even more DNS proxy
problems.

--
Len Sorensen