New article in the Economist criticizing Linux usability

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 10 06:41:40 UTC 2012

On 12-04-07 10:10 PM, charles chris wrote:
> Linux is NOT for graphic artists/desktop publishers/printers, video editors

That statement is debatable on several levels.

For graphic artists there is GIMP, I've heard KDE has a capable program (I
don't run KDE so I don't know its name), and also Inkscape. Some may argue
their suitability to some graphic artists but in general, the programs are
more than good enough to get a job done.

For desktop publishing there is Scribus.

When it comes to video editors, there are several but not one that I've
really thought was a good solid package that would get me to stop rebooting
to Windows in order to use Pinnacle Studio. Cinelerra comes close but last
time I used it I found it to be lacking in support for different video file
formats and it was buggy and prone to crash. This is about to change.

A high-end video editing package is about to be released for free to the
Linux community. The name of the program is called Lightworks. The public
beta is currently Windows only while they work on some issues. Check the
links below for more information.

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/
http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=112

--