New article in the Economist criticizing Linux usability

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 8 01:46:05 UTC 2012

While I applaud the scale of the vision you put forth, I do see a number of
issues that would arise as a result of these deployments, of which three of
the most pertinent [in my mind at least] are noted below.

1.       Training - who is going to ensure that the end users are familiar
enough with Linux to ensure they continue to use it, and don't revert to
Windows/Mac?

2.       Support - please provide details on the individuals willing to
provide ongoing support for 1248 Linux deployments per year.

3.       Compatibility - many programs released today, for which users may
or may not have paid money, are developed specifically for a particular
platform.  Sure, it may be possible to show them that free alternatives are
superior to the closed source versions they've used, but they will be
resistant to such knowledge.

While I think that your plan could work in general, it's not bloody likely
going to do so because, really, most users are accustomed to Windows or Mac
OS.  As a result, even if you do deploy Linux as much as expected, there's
nothing to prevent an individual user [or large groups of users] from
migrating back to an alternate [i.e. more comfortable for them] operating
system.

Given the propensity of individuals to resist drastic change, I sincerely
doubt such action would have lasting effect, on the scale you've envisioned.
I see no problem with trying it, of course, I simply think that it won't
reach the proportions you may expect.

Alex Gabriel

Dimensia Design Studio

alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org