New article in the Economist criticizing Linux usability

sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 3 02:43:12 UTC 2012

On 2 Apr 2012 at 16:43, Sammy Lao wrote:

> http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/03/desktop-linux
> --

Well, he does mention Debian. I sympatised with much of his troubles,
but what I did was rip out Ubuntu, which wasn't living up to
expectation anymore, and installed Debian, which, while it is slightly
dated, it is still reliable. For awhile, Ubuntu had me convinced that I
didn't need my OS to absolutely and utterly stable. I thought I could
put in some of the latest applications; live a little. But after a
while, and on this point I agree with the writer, creators of OS'es
like Ubuntu became over-zealous and broke a lot of things. But his
problem is that he is using this idea to whitewash all other Linux
distros, which is a bit unfair.

Paul