A Software Defined Radio for $11 (sort of...).

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 3 02:03:02 UTC 2012

Yeah, this is an interesting project. That URL doesn't work for me, for
some reason. However, you could search through back issues of hackaday, it
was described in the last 2 or 3 days.

As I understand it, the frequency range is 65MHz up to something like
1.3GHz. So, no AM band, no MW amateur bands. Still...

It's pretty amazing to see a garden-variety PC running a real time
spectrum display and waterfall diagram off of something like a USB key.

Peter

> This is something that is worth watching...
>
> Seems some DVB-T USB TV tuners can be used as software defined radios,
> and some of the tuners that will work in this role can be found for as
> little as $11 on e-Bay. Details to be seen here:
> http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr .
>
> It appears the software is not (yet) fit for prime time, but ... In
> other words a project that at present is worth keeping an eye on, even
> if it isn't yet to the point of being worth running out and getting
> one of those TV tuners...
>

> Colin McGregor

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325